GC 2009: Guild Wars 2 - First Details and Q&A

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GC 2009: Guild Wars 2 - First Details and Q&A

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:36 pm

See, that's the problem with only numbers, you don't know which is which...

I think the first once is the year, second one is month and last one is day.
So February 9th 2011 or February 10th 2011...

I don't see how the last number could be the year. They can't say "It's either November 2nd 2009 or November 2nd 2010", too large of a gap...

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Dwight just couldn't remember if it was the year 2009 or 2010. It was one of those on November 2. In the States 11/2/09 means November 2, 2009. Since it is a US company, I assume that they mean it the US way. I know in Canada they would invert the day and month. It is quite confusing to them when they ask my birthday and I say 10/11/1978. I have to reiterate that it is October 11, 1978 to them or they'll think it's November 10 instead! lol

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

http://serenitymoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:49 pm

My best guess at this point is that GW2 will come out sometime in the first half of 2010, though I'm not sure when exactly. The amount of info that's been released so far about it makes it seem slim that it will come out as early as this Christmas, since I think we'd be seeing more actual screenshots if it if it were. But I also think that it seems unlikely to come out as far off as after the summer of 2010, because in that case I think we'd have seen less info about it by now than we have.

This is all just my guess though, we'll have to wait and see when it really arrives...

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:18 am

I'll vote Summer 2010 !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 am

Found a very cool link on Guru for those that might not check, and its a translation of a Dutch PC game magazine called PCGameplay. More or less it is just talking about stuff that has already been announced or mentioned back in 2007 or is more stuff from this year. However the point of interest this time is this article talks about what is taking so long to finish up GW2, but also an expected release date. So here's to that, keep your fingers crossed folks!

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/pcgameplay-article-guildwars-2-t1447.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:25 am

"However, what is sure is that every race will have their own Racial Abilities"

I know Scott will be pleased to read that. XD

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Loki wrote:Found a very cool link on Guru for those that might not check, and its a translation of a Dutch PC game magazine called PCGameplay. More or less it is just talking about stuff that has already been announced or mentioned back in 2007 or is more stuff from this year. However the point of interest this time is this article talks about what is taking so long to finish up GW2, but also an expected release date. So here's to that, keep your fingers crossed folks!
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/pcgameplay-article-guildwars-2-t1447.html
Nice, thanks for the link! A lot of it is old news, but I wanted to highlight and comment on some of the new stuff from it:

"The feline Charr possess new technology which allows them to produce and wield muskets"
"Like the Sylvari themselves, their weapons are plantlike and are grown in the ground (instead of forged in fire)"
These indicate that in addition to unique racial skillsets, the races will have their own weapons (and probably armor as well). This again points to the races basically taking the place of a whole profession/class of their own, as far as gameplay is concerned.

"Guild Wars 2 will offer more non combat activities (like crafting)"
World of Warcraft style non-combat professions? Yes!

"One of the new tourist attractions is a complete continent under water, on which you can explore the oceans as well as the ocean floors."
World of Warcraft style swimming (or better)? Sounds good!

"ArenaNet now has an engine that can pump out images close to the concept art already seen. This is particularly clear in the trailer, where in-game footage and concept art almost seamlessly flows into eachother."
I didn't think the trailer had any gameplay graphics footage in it at all, but the above comment says otherwise. What this means is that this game is going to look absolutely amazing.

Last edited by Arcana on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pez of Metropolis on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Shawing! Can't wait babycakes!
Pez of Metropolis
Moonite
Moonite

Male Taurus Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:03 am

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/articles/interviews/4633-guild-wars-2-arenanet-im-interview-teil-1/4/

Alright, more GW2 stuff, This is an interview from OnlineWelten with Ree Soesbee and Eric Flannum at ArenaNet on some more lore stuff. Seems the folks at ArenaNet are getting hyped themselves over the game's release since they appear to have revealed some indirect game mechanics in this one. I've highlighted a few points that I found very sweet.

Onlinewelten: In one recent interview it was mentioned that the sylvari correlate with a certain season. Is this relevant for the player? Do the characters differ depending on the time of the year in which they were created?

Eric Flannum: The season that their sylvari character correlates to is very relevant to the player. We don’t grant the character anything that is power-related, but their season is one of the many things that differentiate one characters personal story from another’s.

Onlinewelten: Do you plan something similar for other races?

Eric Flannum: Each race has a number of factors that will change their personal story. Some of the things that are equivalent to sylvari seasons include a human’s racial heritage, a norn’s animal totem of choice, a charr’s legion affiliation, and an asura’s college.

So we can expect some very nice nick-knacks to go along with whatever race we might choose for our characters. This is especially a nice read if you're a lore buff like me as I've said, so check it out. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 am

This is getting more and more interesting !!

They sure do know how to make people want to hear more. I admire their way of saying just enough to pump us up, not enough to speculate, and without leaking any secret info at all !

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:44 pm

I like this! It sounds like this will affect the characters skills! This could be the classes! Winter season Sylvari has water based skills...Asura's knowledge/skills vary depending on the college you choose...etc. Me and Scott think this could be what they mean! It is fun to speculate. Razz

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 am

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/articles/interviews/4666-guild-wars-2-arenanet-im-interview-teil-2/4/

This is part 2 of the interview with Onlinewelten and the wonderful Ree Soesbee and Eric Flannum of ArenaNet. The link provides some more insight into what we can expect for GW2 and focuses a bit more on some of the things seen in the teaser trailer of GW2. Check it out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

Been some time since we got some real info on GW2 considering ArenaNet did say we would get down to actual game mechanics come early 2010. Bit of a shame especially when 2010 isn't going to get any "earlier" than it is now. There is however a few things we have to look forward to. I'm sure some of you guys have been looking around and have already seen most of this stuff but, here is at least what I found so far.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/81024

This is an interview with Jeff Grubb that goes over some of the finer details of GW2 and Guild Wars lore in general. It does sadly provide some information we the fans already had, but if you're a lore buff life myself, it's worth a read.

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/250/guild-wars-2-developer-interview/

Here we have another interview with GW2 lead developer Eric Flannum, and co-developers who give some insight to some more lore, and better yet a few hints into game mechanics!

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/world/ghosts-of-ascalon/

This is of course the official GW2 website, and this is just a few details to the upcoming Guild Wars novel that is set to be released this summer! There is also a sweet FAQ section ArenaNet was nice enough to include. This is one I'll be picking up for sure, too bad there is nothing about it being a hard-cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:05 am

Loki wrote:This is of course the official GW2 website, and this is just a few details to the upcoming Guild Wars novel that is set to be released this summer! There is also a sweet FAQ section ArenaNet was nice enough to include. This is one I'll be picking up for sure, too bad there is nothing about it being a hard-cover.
Thanks for posting all that info! Even though it's not new, I'm sure there may be some newer forum members that haven't seen it yet.

I like the idea of them bringing out a book, even though I kind of doubt I'll read it myself (I'm just not much of a novel reader at all). I've thought for a long time that they really need to market and merchandise Guild Wars a lot better/more than they've been doing. This is one area that Blizzard really shines at in particular, and one of the biggest factors to their success; they're incredibly aggressive about marketing and merchandising. And this is one area that ArenaNet has ultimately failed at in my opinion. We need to see a lot more Guild Wars merchandise out there. The game is definitely popular enough for it to be profitable, and if they would get into merchandising the same way Blizzard has, I think it could easily close the gap in popularity between Guild Wars and World of Warcraft.

I know it's kind of too late to do this for GW1, but I'm really hoping they step it up on the merchandising for GW2 after it's released.

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I know what you mean. There is a fair amount of Guild Wars items up for purchase beyond the most recent novel and art book. The fact they haven't really looked into that market much is unfortunate considering most fans of guild wars are the die hard kind.

Ah well, here's hoping that we'll get a game play trailer on GW2 soon. Particularly I'm interested in how the skills system will be changed in anyway if at all, and what professions we'll be looking at. From what Eric Flannum was describing in regards to profession specifics, there might be more than just 10 professions to work with. That and weapons would now be made profession specific, however some professions will have access to multiple weapons like being able to use bows and guns alike.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top