My letter to ArenaNet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My letter to ArenaNet

Post by SAL on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't know if this will really have any effect or not, but I feel strongly enough about the following issue that I felt I needed to write ArenaNet directly about it. So here's the letter I sent them on November 28. Since I've already sent it, it can't be altered anymore now, but I felt like I'd post it here anyway just in case other people wanted to read it and/or comment on it. Even though it may not change my opinion about it at this point, please feel free to discuss the issue and post your own opinions/thoughts/feelings about it, as I'm always interested to hear what other people think about things like this.

Arcana wrote:Hello,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to add Dhuum into Guild Wars in the November 19th update. It's great to have a new boss in the Underworld, and I’m looking forward to a possible update to Fissure of Woe as well.

I wanted to write you with a concern, however. I understand that this update was possibly made with the intent at least partly to address the UWSC (Underworld Speed Clear) issues. Specifically, the short time it was taking a certain Assassin-heavy team build to complete the area. It seems that adding Dhuum was designed to encourage a more balanced (or at least more diverse) team build in the Underworld. Unfortunately, it seems like the first team to start to be widely used for it is also an Assassin-heavy team, that doesn’t really differ much from the original in terms of functionality and overall speed. It also restricts team members to mainly using Assassins with Shadow Form, which can be frustrating to the many players who wish to be able to play as the other character classes instead.

I’m referring specifically to this team build: http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Mobway

I realize that you are hesitant to “nerf” Shadow Form, due to the many players who enjoy using it as a viable tanking method in PvE. But I feel that until the skill is altered in some way, it will remain overused in the Underworld (as well as some of the other “high-end” areas in the game), and discourage more balanced or diverse team builds from being accepted there by the player base as a whole.

I do have a suggestion for a way to possibly alter Shadow Form enough to keep it usable as a tanking option, but not quite as abusable as it has been. Here is the skill description for the skill on Guild Wars wiki as it is now (from http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shadow_Form):

Energy Cost: 10
Casting Time: 1
Recharge Time: 45
Description: Elite Enchantment Spell. For 5...18...21 seconds, all hostile Spells that target you fail and all attacks against you miss, but you deal 33% less damage. When Shadow Form ends, lose all but 5...41...50 Health.

And here’s what I suggest changing it to:

Energy Cost: 10
Casting Time: 1
Recharge Time: 30
Description: Elite Enchantment Spell. For 10...23...26 seconds, all hostile Spells that target you fail and all attacks against you miss, but you deal 25% less damage. When Shadow Form ends, lose all but 15...51...60 Health. You cannot cast Shadow Form while enchanted with Shadow Form.

This change actually “buffs” the skill in a couple of ways, but the added condition in the skill’s description would require a one second “down time” for the skill, in which you would be required to recast it while vulnerable. I feel that leaving the player necessarily vulnerable for this one second while recasting the skill would still make the skill highly useful, but require much more coordination and careful planning of the skill than it does now. I feel this would also in turn make it more beneficial to bring a variety of character classes along with the Assassin in areas like Underworld, because it would increase the risk of taking a team consisting of mostly just Assassins.

I understand if you do not wish to risk losing players by “nerfing” Shadow Form. But I just wanted to make this suggestion for the skill, because I feel it may be the best and possibly only way to find a balance between the two sides of this issue (that being, those who enjoy being able to use Shadow Form Assassins in elite areas, and those who wish to be able to use a variety of other classes without being excluded from groups because of it).

I thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Whether or not my suggestion can help or not, I am glad to be a longtime Guild Wars player, and will continue to play the game regardless of how this particular issue progresses.

A loyal Guild Wars fan,
(signature deleted)
EDIT: I have also officially submitted this suggestion on wiki HERE.

Last edited by Arcana on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:07 am; edited 3 times in total

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

http://serenitymoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My letter to ArenaNet

Post by AxelofMetropolis on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Scott, thank you ^_^
AxelofMetropolis
Moonite
Moonite

Male Posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:15 pm

You'll be getting a letter soon about a developer job at Anet.

Good job!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:19 pm

I think it would be a good idea.

I do believe it's at least worth a try on their test servers.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for the comments!

I moved this topic to Skill discussion, since after thinking about it, it has more to do with Shadow Form than Underworld.

I also officially submitted my idea for it on wiki, after getting a somewhat generic response from ArenaNet saying they would pass it onto their developers, but that I should also post my suggestion on wiki and/or Guild Wars fansite forums (I've already posted it on GWGuru before now though). Who knows if or how long it will stay on wiki... but I figured I'd post it anyway on the off-chance it actually doesn't get deleted.

Last edited by Arcana on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:38 am; edited 5 times in total

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

http://serenitymoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 am

If they nerf Shadow Form, ANet will have to host AA meetings (Anonymous Assassins).
I hope they writhe in pain. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Pez of Metropolis on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Scott, that letter was brilliant. I really liked it and think it was very well thought through. Your idea for Shadow Form makes perfect sense.

Also, I am going to laugh hystericaly for days and days when they neft SF to your exact description of hat it should be.

lol!
Pez of Metropolis
Moonite
Moonite

Male Taurus Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 pm

And then Scott can say :

"Well, it was my idea, so you owe me one miiiiillion dollars!"

Back to top Go down