Naked Ranger parties return!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Naked Ranger parties return!

Post by SAL on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 am

Click HERE to go see the newest revealed GW2 class, the good old Ranger!

Not as much seems to have actually changed with them, it just seems like the same GW1 concept but improved upon a bit. I guess that may be a good thing for any of you die-hard GW1 Ranger fans out there. Smile

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

http://serenitymoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Naked Ranger parties return!

Post by AxelofMetropolis on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:54 am

I am VERY disappointed with this...it's so similar to the GW1 Ranger. There's next to nothing new, only things improved upon. In a whole new game, I'd much rather have something new than something that is improved like this. They should've just made a new class all together and updated the GW1 Ranger in my opinion.
AxelofMetropolis
Moonite
Moonite

Male Posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 am

AxelofMetropolis wrote:I am VERY disappointed with this...it's so similar to the GW1 Ranger. There's next to nothing new, only things improved upon. In a whole new game, I'd much rather have something new than something that is improved like this. They should've just made a new class all together and updated the GW1 Ranger in my opinion.

Although I don't see me making a Ranger a my first character, I like the changes they made. They made pets a core mechanic of the class, allowed you move while shooting with a shortbow, actually gave you melee options (axe, sword, and greatsword), and hopefully traps and spirits will be more useful.

I currently dislike Rangers in Guild Wars; they lost their role and instead became abusers of non-Ranger stuff.

Link to more ranger stuff: HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am

The way the new ranger is really so much like the existing one just reinforces what I've thought from the beginning - - Guild Wars 2 is what the developers really wanted Guild Wars 1 to be. Guild Wars 2 should have been the ONLY Guild Wars, but they were probably inexperienced and not sure how to make the game exactly what it should be in the first place. Now they see all the mistakes they made and are RE making everything much BETTER for Guild Wars 2 ( I'll call it, The Real Guild Wars). Scott has even called Guild Wars 1 just a really long running Beta test for how to make Guild Wars 2.

So the classes being so similar doesn't surprise me when they liked them to begin with, but just needed to tweak them a bit. This seems like what they've done. They really haven't reinvented their original classes at all.

All this is not to say that some things in Guild Wars 2 won't be innovative and new because I'm sure a lot of it will. I just really think they realized how the original Guild Wars was broken, and decided to fix it with Guild Wars 2 to make it what it should have been in the first place.

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Yep, that's exactly it. Everyone should keep in mind that GW2 was initially born as GW:Utopia, which was supposed to be the third GW expansion campaign. They started changing it when they realized they couldn't really add any more to the game as it was, and instead needed to start out fresh with it. So in it's place they quickly put together EOTN and relased that for GW1 instead, which really adds very little to the game if you compare it to the other campaigns. Then they went to breaking Utopia off from the GW1 code and modifying it into what will be GW2.

The fact that the first 3 classes they've revealed are all GW1 classes shouldn't be too surprising, considering this is, like V said, more of a re-invention of GW as what they had intended it to be in the first place. With this in mind, their main focus seems to be the following:
1. To free GW2 from the limitations of GW1. This includes creating a much more integrated and interactvie game world, and also give you more character control options and improved freedom of movement and action. To accomplish these things, they needed a new game engine that could make use of current technology to its fullest, which wouldn't be possible with any degree of upgrading of GW1's outdated engine.
2. To remove or repair the mistakes that can't be undone. This includes repairing some problematic aspects of the game, such as making the skill system include 10 slots instead of 8, having less quantity but more quality and versatility to the skills, and removing the hard level 20 cap that GW1 has due to its attribute system. It also includes completely removing things that have been even more problematic, such as henchmen, heros, and secondary classes, all of which they have mentioned have significantly harmed the game's essence and intent, rather than enchancing it as they were initially hoping they would.

The storyline and characters are mainly based off of Utopia's storyline, and therefore may not change much overall from GW1. I think that, as V mentioned, they probably like the existing classes for the most part, and therefore want to port them over to this new game environment where they can develop them even further. I suspect that many brand new classes will appear with expansion campaigns though, so don't think that the starting 8 classes will be all that you end up being able to use in this game.

Last edited by Arcana on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Well said. I agree. I'm glad they're re-making Guild Wars. It is a great decision on their parts, and I eagerly await it's upgrade. Smile

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Fink Dixel on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 pm

I have dibs on calling the parties. They are my parties >8U!!!

"That guy could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo"
Fink Dixel
Moon Born
Moon Born

Male Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I say each race should have a prof other races can't have, like golemancer for asura, shapeshifter for norn, herbalist for sylvari, capable of making poisons and healing stuff, warmaster for char and templar for humans, well these are just ideas, anet probably wont make them true.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 am

Alias Mordor wrote:I say each race should have a prof other races can't have, like golemancer for asura, shapeshifter for norn, herbalist for sylvari, capable of making poisons and healing stuff, warmaster for char and templar for humans, well these are just ideas, anet probably wont make them true.
It seems like the races will basically be a profession of their own, and the racial skills will probably be along the lines of what you've outlined there (Norn will shapeshift, Asura will summon Golems, Sylvari will animate plant minions, etc).

I suspect they may highlight the races on the website after the professions, in a similar way with videos and descriptions of their unique racial abilities. Wait for it and see if I'm right. Razz

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:23 am

ArenaNet has been constantly saying that they are not trying to compete with World of Warcraft. They say they are just making their own game or whatever. If they added unique classes to the various races it would be just one more thing that made it similar to WoW. I think that in this they’ll allow all races to be all classes. They don’t want to be a second WoW.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Wonder if certain races will be better suited for certain professions. Like how they are in many RPGs (AD&D comes to mind, Wizardry too). A Char Ele seems a stretch but a Char ranger or War? Seems good. An Asura Warrior? I'll pass.

Would not help diversity though.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 am

scienter wrote:Wonder if certain races will be better suited for certain professions. Like how they are in many RPGs (AD&D comes to mind, Wizardry too). A Char Ele seems a stretch but a Char ranger or War? Seems good. An Asura Warrior? I'll pass.
Would not help diversity though.
I would expect that at the very least, certain race/class combinations may end up working better than others due to better synchronization between certain race and class skills being used together. There could be an even further split in race/class preferences if they incorporate different inherent stats into the races though, like health and energy in particular.

PS. As a big Wizardry fan, I've got to say that although some race/class combinations were better suited than others, I really liked that there seemed to be very few combinations that were really outright bad to the point of significantly handicapping you for using them (and it was pretty obvious from the get go which combinations were that bad). It seemed really open to preference in that regard, just like DnD mostly is.

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:46 am

Arcana wrote:PS. As a big Wizardry fan, I've got to say that although some race/class combinations were better suited than others, I really liked that there seemed to be very few combinations that were really outright bad to the point of significantly handicapping you for using them (and it was pretty obvious from the get go which combinations were that bad). It seemed really open to preference in that regard, just like DnD mostly is.

Well, perhaps I have engaged in too much 'power gaming' and not enough 'role playing' because it has pretty much been about optimization rather than not handicapped when I roll up my characters. It has always been about maximizing and never about good enough. And while I know that the choice of a elven fighter for Ad&d is perhaps not crippled, it would also be a rarity (and pretty much a dumb choice). I don't think I necessarily want that where there are maybe a few 'good' combinations. I'd rather have it be balanced well enough that every choice is viable and none of the choices unreasonable. Even if that means the differences aren't really meaningful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:15 am

Asuran elementalist will probably be an energy-bomb Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 am

Scott says Sylvari Minion Master may be good with the flesh minions and possible plant summons. Razz

Speaking of which, I tried a Ritualist SoS minion master the other day. It was interesting, and the damage was equivalent or better than typical SoS full channeling.

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 pm

scienter wrote:Well, perhaps I have engaged in too much 'power gaming' and not enough 'role playing' because it has pretty much been about optimization rather than not handicapped when I roll up my characters. It has always been about maximizing and never about good enough. And while I know that the choice of a elven fighter for Ad&d is perhaps not crippled, it would also be a rarity (and pretty much a dumb choice). I don't think I necessarily want that where there are maybe a few 'good' combinations. I'd rather have it be balanced well enough that every choice is viable and none of the choices unreasonable. Even if that means the differences aren't really meaningful.
Yeah, I can understand that too, and I'm like that to some degree as well. But in Wizardry, it was more about certain races having certain resitances or special abilities, which were mainly a matter of preference since they weren't very significant overall, and rarely helped any specific professions much. By the end of the game you could generally get all your attributes maxed out regardless of what race you chose, so racial stat differences became a non-issue in the late game. I would say that some classes certainly beat out others in Wizardry, but the races you pick seem to have a very low influence on a character's overall functionality or power level.

I'm just curious, which Wizardry games have you played through? I've played a bunch of them, though I'm mainly thinking of Wizardry 8 when I write about it here, since I consider that the best game of the series by far. From what I remember though, what I said also applies to the entire series in general.

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Minions don't deal armor ignoring damage, though. But maybe I'm the only person totally in love with armor ignoring damage...

Back to top Go down

Post by Valynn Lionhart on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Nope, armor ignoring damage is some great damage. I just thought it would be fun to have a double big army. Razz

Moonarch

Female Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Unless you are on the reciecing end. Darn Skeletons of Dhuum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 am

lol, i use a MM and a SoS hero for that, combines seems hard to play as you have to choose between spirits, minions and sometimes a spirit or a minion, and those choices can have ur char dead or alive.

Back to top Go down

Post by SAL on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 am

scienter wrote:Minions don't deal armor ignoring damage, though. But maybe I'm the only person totally in love with armor ignoring damage...
Heck no, it's probably the biggest aspect that makes Ritualists and Mesmers so devastating these days.

Moonarch
Moonarch

Male Gemini Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Armor-ignoring damage is the only 'real' damage i can inflict as i'm a mesm Very Happy
my VoR hits 100 per skill used by the target and backfire 147 XD, casters are so dead if i use WW after that.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top